WSET Level 3 Award in Wines and Spirits
START DATE: Please call (01) 679 4409 for more information on the next course date.
DURATION: Ten week module followed by exam.
The WSET Level 3 Award in Wines and Spirits is designed to give a thorough understanding of the principal wines and spirits of the world and their commercial importance in the world’s market. The qualification will assist those who are required to make professional evaluations of wines and spirits with regard to their quality and commercial value. The qualification provides the in depth product knowledge required to underpin job skills and competencies, for example in product selection in the retail and hospitality sectors.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND? This course is open to students who hold the WSET Level 2 Certificate or can demonstrate the equivalent knowledge. It is strongly recommended that students complete the Intermediate Certificate before progressing to the Advanced Certificate
HOW WILL YOU BENEFIT? This qualification provides detailed analysis of the principal wines and spirits of the world. Students will also benefit from in-depth tastings where they will learn to identify product style and quality. All sessions on this course normally include tastings.
OUTLINE PROGRAMME: Unit One
• Wines and Spirits of the World
• Production of Wine (location, viticulture, vinification, maturation and bottling, labelling regulations)
• Central and South Eastern Europe
• South Africa
• Australia and New Zealand
• North America
• South and Central America
• Sparkling Wines of the World
• Fortified (Liqueur) Wines, Spirits and Liqueurs of the World
• Information and Advice for Customers and Staff
This unit is evaluated by a multiple-choice paper of 50 questions and a question paper requiring short written answers.